In recent years there has been an increase in direct cremations, initially due to high profile funerals such
as that of David Bowie. More recently the covid crisis has necessitated this option for many in
society. The advantages of such a service are clear, the cost is much below that of a traditional funeral
and greater emphasis can be placed on what may be more appropriate ways to remember and
celebrate a life. Especially for those who are not religious.
However, it is not well known that direct natural burial is also available. This allows the cost and
simplicity advantages of direct cremation whilst also ensuring the greatest possible care for nature and
the environment. Family and friends also have a beautiful area of peace and tranquillity to visit to
remember loved one.
So, what is a direct natural burial? Put simply, the burial is conducted with the usual care and respect at
one of our natural burial grounds, but without a service and with no officiant or mourners present. The
Natural Burial Company would select the grave plot, and this would remain unmarked. The family
would be aware of the burial ground but would not be informed of the exact location of the
plot. However, a memorial tree and/or plaque may be purchased and be placed in our Memorial Area
at the natural burial ground. The grave plot may also be purchased at a later date. This would then
allow for the grave to be identified and memorials to be placed on the grave if you wish.
As the service is simplified and the grave is not identified the cost is significantly less than for a standard
burial plot. This allows for funds to be available for a celebration, memorial service or other activity in
remembrance. As with all our services we ensure that our care for the deceased, the bereaved and the
environment is total.
The Direct Natural Burial is a complete funeral service:
• All arrangements and administration, via telephone, email and/or zoom.
• Removal of the person who has died within office hours from a hospital within 20 miles of any of
our burial grounds (additional mileage charges may apply if the person died outside of this area
and/or at a private address – an estimate of costs will always be provided).
• Care of the person who has died in hygienic conditions until the day of the burial.
• A simple Cardboard Coffin.
• Transport of the coffin to the natural burial ground.
• An unmarked grave at the natural burial ground.
• Interment and Administration fees.
• Our team to conduct the burial.
The cost of the Direct Natural Burial is £1,790
You can also arrange the following:
• A Slate Memorial Plaque and/or Memorial Tree in the burial ground Memorial Area.
• You can purchase the plot at a later date if you wish to know the exact location of the grave.
We are all becoming more environmentally conscious. Greater awareness and understanding of the importance of helping to care for our planet is resulting in people making more environmentally friendly choices.